6 Easy Swaps for Cleaner Living
Let’s make 2021 a little less toxic, shall we?
Below are 6 easy tips to reduce your exposure to toxins in every day products!
1. Ditch aluminum-filled deodorant. Opt for a cleaner, aluminum-free brand with no synthetic fragrance. I personally love the brand Native and also Beautycounter’s new deodorant (bonus points because this one is refillable and waste free!). I have tried soooo many different clean deodorants and these two seem to hold up the best after a long day. .
2. Swap out your powders (eye shadow, blush, bronzer, etc) for cleaner options. Some chemicals like phthalates and fragrance enter our bloodstream by being inhaled as well as absorbed. Beautycounter is my go to for makeup. They screen for heavy metals multiple times in the production process, are free of 1,800 questionable or harmful chemicals, and the final product is tested for human safety.
3. Use clean lip products such as chapstick, gloss and lipstick. These products are on your lips and therefore are being ingested straight into your body! I love Badger and Dr. Bronner’s chapstick, and Beautycounter's lipsticks and gloss. Beware of heavy metals in lip colorants. Lead, arsenic, cadmium, and mercury are a few contenders that have been found in main stream lipstick brands. This is a great article that explains why it is important to shop with companies that screen for heavy metals in lip products.
5. Add in dry brushing to your nightly routine! Dry brushing regularly helps stimulate the normal lymph flow within the body and helps the body detoxify itself naturally. This set of brushes is my favorite because it includes a face brush and two body brushes with different firmness. If you are new to dry brushing watch this tutorial to get started!
6. Take weekly detox baths, because who doesn’t love a good bath!? Add in 1/3 cup of Bentonite clay and 1/3 cup of Epsom salt to your next bath. These bath add-ons help draw toxins out of the body. Bentonite clay is a naturally-forming clay that magnetically pulls toxins, heavy metals, and waste from the body. Epsom salt is known for pulling out toxins as well.
What other ways are you helping to reduce your toxic load this year?